Monday 30 November 2009

Well, last time I was so worked up over my Cerne Abbas ordeal that I forgot to mention that the rest of the week even happened. But it did. Last Tuesday I had lunch with the woman who mediates between my home university and Bristol, and I got to tell her about all the good times and problems I've had so she can work to improve trips for study abroad students in the future. She also paid for my lunch.
Wednesday I went to see the SS Great Britain, which I was supposed to see with Ruth, but we arrived ten minutes or so after it closed. It's actually not that big of a boat, but it's very pretty, and the inside is full of mannequins acting out typical scenes from boat life, I guess. I didn't know the mannequins were going to be there, and the kept scaring me half to death every time I turned a corner and saw one.



















Isn't she charming?

On Thursday, there was a Thanksgiving dinner offered for the study abroad students. What was funny was that most of the kids who went weren't actually American, and they kept asking those of us who were if the food was right as so on. It was okay, but of course nothing compares with a real Thanksgiving dinner with your family. It was still fun though.
And you already know about Friday. Saturday I went to Salisbury, and that went much better, mostly because Salisbury is a real town with more than one street and twelve people living there. Again, I saw some churches, one of which was for my thesis, so I felt productive. However, it started to rain as I was walking to the Salisbury station to catch my train home, and a car drove through a puddle as it passed me and splashed water all over me. Seriously, I was soaking wet. Once I got to the station, there was a train preparing to leave, so I asked where it was going in hopes that I could just hop on instead of waiting for my scheduled train. The girl I stopped said some town I didn't recognize, so I let it go only to find out that it actually was going to Bristol and that girl only said on of the stops. So I had to wait for almost an hour in my wet cold clothes until the next train came.
Sunday I didn't do anything other than try to overcome the trauma from my weekend trips. Thursday I'm heading out again to Oxford and South Leigh, and hopefully the fates are on my side this time.
Lastly, here are some pictures from Salisbury. The first two are from St. Thomas, the church I visited for my thesis, featuring a Judgment Day painting. The next three are from the Salisbury Cathedral, which is really impressive, and the final two are just from around the town.

No comments:

Post a Comment