Tuesday 3 November 2009

Alright, here are some pictures from the churches I went to see a few weeks ago. First off is the Bristol Cathedral. Now, I don't really know much about the place itself, but there are quite a few tombs there with ornate statues of their occupants laying down on their lids. It would be great if I could tell you the history of the building or at least something about a few of the people commemorated there, but I was really only interested in the ornate architecture. So here it is.









The second church, St. Paul's, I only have the one picture of, but it's really pretty. It's also completely blown out inside, with no roof, so you can't go inside.














Finally, there's the Temple Church, named after the Knight's Templar, which was also blown out during bombing from WWII. Apparently you used to be able to walk around inside, but now you can't because the walls are losing their structural integrity. Unlike St. Paul's, though, I was able to see in through the windows and get some pictures of what it looks like inside.









It was interesting to go see these places, since we really don't have stuff this old in America. Also, it helped me learn to navigate my way around the city a little better, which you may or may not know is quite an issue for me.


Lastly, two random snippets about me weekend. First of all, it seems that most people outside the USA (that I've met, anyhow) pronounce the "h" in herbs. Second, in the shopping area of Bristol on Halloween there was a street performance of Michael Jackson's "Thriller", which was fun to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment