Thursday 29 October 2009

Alright, it's been quite a while since I last wrote anything, mostly because there hasn't been too much of interest going on. However, these past two weekends I did go see some interesting things. Two weeks ago I went to see some of the old churches in the Bristol area, which are beautiful, and I will definitely put up some pictures of them a little later. Right now I want to focus on what I did this past weekend, which was visit Stonehenge and the city of Bath.
This is me at Stonehenge:
If I look disheveled and somewhat unhappy, it's because I am. It was raining buckets the whole morning, and of course I left behind my umbrella, so I had a hard time trying to enjoy the landmark. Plus it's much smaller than I thought it would be. Though I don't regret going to see it, I wasn't too impressed overall. It took about an hour for my hair to dry out, which is about how long it takes to get from Stonehenge to Bath, so I guess that worked out.

On the way to Bath we witnessed a really bad accident. A van slid of the slippery road and tipped onto its' side. There was a mother, father, and little girl inside, but they all made it out unharmed. Since a lot of the roads here are so narrow and twisty, I can see how there might be a lot of accidents during bad weather, but I have no idea if there really are or not. I'm just glad that no one got hurt.

The rain had stopped by the time we got to Bath, and the rest of the day was really beautiful. The first thing we did was take a tour of the Roman Bath Museum, which helped to give the town its' name.




























The rest of the time we just wandered around the town, taking pictures of all the scenery. Bath really is a pretty place, with a decent amount of parks and things to look at. One place we looked at was the Royal Crescent, which is a bunch of old houses connected in the shape of a crescent (really). It was gorgeous.














Perhaps even prettier was the park around it. Now, I have no idea what the monument in the first picture is for, I only know that it's called an obelisk, thanks to a girl I met on this trip named Marika (she's from Oregon but lives in Canada).














Now these are just some pictures of things we saw while looking around, including the Abbey lit up at night, which was the last thing we saw before we were picked up to go back to Bristol.















I really enjoyed this trip, even if it started out as rainy and cold. This was probably one of the prettiest places I've seen, and I really loved seeing all the big trees. England, or at least what I've seen of it so far, doesn't have much open land like the U.S. does (especially in Ohio and the Midwest), and what they do have is usually just hills of grass being occupied by sheep. They really have a lot of sheep here. I didn't think to take a picture of it at the time, but you should have seen what was across the street from Stonehenge: a rolling plain with sheep as far as the eye could see. In any case, I had really come to miss trees, which was something that I didn't even realize until I got to Bath and saw them again. Maybe it seems a little odd, but like I said before, it's always the mundane things that have the biggest impact on you, and make you feel the differences between where you are and home.

No comments:

Post a Comment