Friday 20 November 2009

So here's most of what happened last week. Ruth came in from Russia on Monday evening, and we spent the week looking at, what else, churches. It was good so see someone from home, though, and it was a good time, in spite of the poor sleeping conditions (she slept on the floor and I gave up my comforter as a makeshift mattress, so we were both somewhat cold and uncomfortable).

Tuesday I took Ruth around Bristol, to the cathedral, which I've already put up pictures of, and the harbor area. We were going to see the SS Great Britain, but it closed right before we got there, which was disappointing. But I'll see that boat someday, I promise. And no, I don't know why the bridge looks like it has trombones on it.












Wednesday we went to Glastonbury, where we saw the Abbey and the Tor, which are both just really old churches. The Abbey is pretty much in ruins, and King Aurthur is supposedly buried there, which means that there are a lot of "magic" and pagan-ish type stores all over the town.
It actually took some time to get into town because Ruth and I missed the bus stop and had to get off at the next one and walk back. Also, the Tor is up a hill, and walking up to it was one of the most exhausting experiences of my life. In any case, here are some pictures of the Abbey:














Now here's the Tor. I'd say it was about a 15-20 minute walk straight uphill. I still can't decide if it was worth it.



















Thursday we went to Wells, allegedly the smallest town in England, and saw the Bishop's Palace and Cathedral there. It was gorgeous. The palace has a beautiful garden (and a mote!), and the church is amazing on the inside, as well as really impressive outside. These first five pictures are all from around the Bishop's Palace.




















These next pictures are from the cathedral, and if the one's of the inside look a little off, it's because we were supposed to purchase a license to take photos of the inside, and I didn't, so I was taking care to not be seen photographing anything.





















Friday we didn't go anywhere special, just wandered around the city again, and looked at Temple Meads Station, a really beautiful train station, and the main one for Bristol, and yet another church, this one called St. Mary's, I think. It's hard to keep up since they're so many of them.



















On Saturday morning, I took Ruth back to the bus station so she could catch her plane in London. The rest of my weekend was pretty eventful, but again, that'll have to wait until later. At least I'm only one week behind now!

No comments:

Post a Comment