Tuesday 8 December 2009

My trip to Cerne Abbas will forever hold the title of "Worst Walk Ever", but getting to South Leigh comes in at a very close second. I think that South Leigh is the farthest from civilization that I have ever been, and it was a little bit awful since I was so alone and it was pretty cold out, but the area itself is very pretty, and the church was worth going to see.
From Oxford, I took a half-hour bus to a place (if you can call it that) called High Cogges (pronounced "cogs", as I learned after confusing the crap out of the bus driver). From this "place" I had to walk another half hour down the loneliest street I've ever been on until it literally dead ended at a cul-de-sac called South Leigh. South Leigh consists of a village hall, a couple houses, and St. James the Great. Luckily St. James is an adorable church, with some very nice Medieval artwork, so it was worth the trip. It also has what I find to be the most hilarious piece of stained glass ever, which I like to call "The Disgruntled Jesus". It's of John the Baptist preaching to a group of people, and Jesus is in the background looking extremely off put by the whole situation. Perhaps he's jealous of all the attention? In any case, there's a picture of it below.
When I finally made it back to High Cogges, I had to wait around a half hour for a bus to show up, which was really pitiful because it was so cold out and I was seriously the only person around. But I got back and finished my Oxford visit just fine.
On Friday I just did a little shopping in Bristol and hung out with friends, and got ready for even more traveling on Saturday.

Here are the South Leigh pictures. The first is of High Cogges, my bus stop, and the next is of the road I had to walk down to get to South Leigh. Then there's the village hall, and the outside of St. James the Great. The next two are of some of the artwork inside the church, and last but not least, The Disgruntled Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment